Monday, September 22, 2008

It's almost time to go!

I'm sitting here on the steps of my home in Vienna, Virginia. I'm waiting for my whole family to come and pick me up to take me to Dulles Airport, where I will be flying on Ethiopian Airlines to Rome, Ethiopia, and then Kinshasa, Congo.

One thought keeps coming to mind: What am I most afraid of concerning this trip? First of all, I am afraid of how much I will miss my wife, Genny, and my two sons, Ben and Sam. Secondly, I'm afraid of how much I will miss my church family...all of whom I love so very, very much. Thirdly, and surprisingly to me, I will miss all of the things that I have come to take for granted: my own bed, my own pillow, Genny sleeping beside me, saying "Goodnight, I love you" to Ben and Sammy when we're all going to sleep, using the remote control for the T.V., watching my favoriate T.V shows, eating whatever food I want, listening to my favorite radio stations, driving my Rangerover, writing a sermon and preaching to people I love so very much, going to the office and seeing Judi Reitman, Susan Hanson, Susi Ennis, Marta Strada, and all of the other wonderful people who come into the Church Office to do the work of the Lord.

It's amazing when I think about going to one of the poorest countries in the world and one of the most remote parts of the planet (Lubondai), how poor I suddenly feel myself. Not that I am, but everything that I am used to is going to be out of reach for me. My comfort zone will be smashed and I will be experiencing all that is different with my beloved friends, Bill Metzel, John Metzel, and all the brothers and sisters in Christ who I will be meeting on this amazing trip.

Thus, it is the newness...the difference...the change...the unknown that I both fear and welcome at this time...when I wait on the steps of my house for my family to come and pick me up to take me to the airport so I can fly far, far away.

It's an interesting life. It's a wonderful life!

They're here now. I have do go. I called my mom and talked to her. I thanked her for giving me life and told her that I loved her very, very much.

Now, I'm going to hang my house, car, office keys on the hook inside of my front door and walk to the car to go far, far away.

Just writing this helps me to believe that no matter where I go in this world, as long as I cling to my faith in Jesus Christ and realize that He is with me...I'm really not all that far away at all.

What do people do who don't have a faith in God? in Jesus Christ? How do they bridge the long distances that separate them from the ones that they love? Christ will remind me that I am married. Christ will remind me that I have two wonderful and amazing boys. Christ will remind me that I have a home waiting for me when I get back. Christ will guide me to do whatever I can for those who are genuinely in need. Christ will enable me to make new friends...brothers and sisters in Christ. And, Christ will make this trip an amazing success...His success.

And, somehow that makes any fears I have at this moment just drift away...

Got to go and catch the plane!

Love to all,

Until next time...

Chris

No comments: