Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm at Dr. Mike and Nurse Nancy Haninger's House!

Dear Loved Ones:

It has been three days since my last entry. I have not had access to internet service and am able to access it here in Tshikaji. We are at the Mission Station/Hospital where Mike and Nancy do such amazing work for the people. They have opened their home to us and I am staying in a very nice Guest House. I have taken a tour of the hospital and visited with many local families here. This morning (Sunday), I was holding a baby and playing soccer at the same time with some children. John and Bill had to pry me away from the kids to go to church.

Church was fantastic! The pastor preached on passages from Proverbs, Hebrews, and Revelation. I don't have time to go into what he said. It was the singing that was amazing. There were four choirs...the Nurses Choir, the Church Choir, the Presbyterian Women's Choir, and a Men's Duet. We had Holy Communion and it was beautiful.

John, Bill, and I spoke for brief periods of time. I brought greetings, in the name of Christ, from the PCUSA, National Capital Presbytery, and the First Presbyterian Church of Annandale. And shared with all of them how much I see Jesus Christ here...in their smiling faces, in the way they freely reach out with hospitality, and in the way they so lovingly help someone like me who hardly understands what is going on. I do know some French, so I can relate to those who speak French. However, now that I am in the deepest part of the Congo, Tshiluba is mostly spoken and only John and Bill know how to speak or understand that language.

Bill said a prayer in Tshiluba at worship. And, John pronouced the Benediction. John had a very, very difficult time getting through it. His emotions are very thin because this is the first time he has come "home" in 21 years. Without going into many details, John's youth was spent here...from 6 weeks of age to 8th grade, I think. He hasn't been here since. Today, we met a young man who was born after John left...whom he had never met...whose name is John William Metzel, he is actually named after John! For John. Because of John! Wow! And, John had never met him before. The tears were really flowing when they met for the first time this morning...this Sunday.

On to other things...the landcruiser is not done yet. It will be done tomorrow. We'll be able to get to Lubondai on Tuesday. That fits right in with our schedule. We'll be there from Tuesday to Sunday. Then, we'll go to Bujimai to see two mission projects that Bill has a great affinity and passion for, a Girls Orphanage and a school.

We've met some amazing people. The former Governor of this region and his son, Jim, who studied in the US and was supported by the Metzels. Jim is reaching out to us and helping us in ways that are truly fantastic! He is such a wonderful man. We have meet one Secretary General of the Eastern Community and the Assistant Secretary General of the Western Community (like big presbyteries) that make up the Presbyterian Church in Congo. We've met the Dean of the Seminary at the Protestant University of Congo. We've met the Haningers...I'm in their house right now. We have stayed with a wonderful family's home...no bathroom...but, very, very loving.

I am seeing Christ in every single person I meet here. I hate to say it, but I love being in the mission field. I LOVE being the pastor at Annandale. But, having the honor and opportunity to have this experience is something that awakens a passion/calling that has been asleep for quite some time. Life is so, so very good. God is so very, very good! First Annandale is so very good. The Haningers are so very good. Bill and John are so very good.

Jesus Christ is very, very much alive and well. And, the smiles on the faces of these people, who are the poorest of the poor are proof positive that Jesus Christ is still alive and well.

I am hearing now from the Haningers about a scary event in his life when he hit his head on the back of the plane while skydiving. He was jumping with his wife. He was knocked out and an automatic mechanism opened his parachute. He was seriously injured, but life-flighted to the hospital and is fine. I'll write more about this later. He is telling it to us right now as I type!!!

I have to go now. There is so much more that I have to write, but John wants me to go with the son of the former Governor, Mukenge-Shabantu, father of the people here, right now.

I love you all very, very much.

Until the next time...

Chris Looker

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick clarification: John was back in 1981 to work on the Tshikaji hydro for a year and managed the building of all but one of the piers for that dam. In 1987-88, John and I spent a year at Kananga, where he directed the Protestant printing press while Bill Reinhold was on furlough. I don't want everyone to get fooled into thinking John is only 33 (8th grade + 21 years), not that he would mind that too much!

Mujinga wa Tshimanga

Susi said...

Bill, Chris and John, you have already done so many things. I hope that you are storing up to share this experience with us when you return.

It is good to see that you are staying true to form and it is hard to tear you away from the children. I know how much you enjoy spending time with the little ones.

God bless all three of you. Susi

Unknown said...

Chris, John and Bill - God bless you all. Your comments remind me of how much we take for granted here in the US. We fuss when the power occasionally goes off and we have to reset the microwave, the TV, the clock. We don't think about people dying because of little or no electricity. You are helping to "shift my paradigm." I will certainly keep you, your families, your project and the people whose lives you touch in my prayers. Bill Jokela

Marta said...

I am so happy that things are working out so well for you. What an experience to see Jesus being with those peopoloe - and I am convinced He is working with you as you are visiting them, helping tham, praying with them. We are praying for the three of you!

My love to all of you.

Marta said...

I am so glad things work out for you. It is great to read that you see Jesus working tih these people -- and I am convinced Jesus is working with the three of you, helping them when you talk with them, pray with them. And we pray for the three of you!

My thoughts, my love fly acros the ocean wo be with you!