Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm about to take a tour of the Hospital with Nancy Hanninger.

Dear Loved Ones:

I'm here with Nancy and we are having such a wonderful time.

I only have 12 minutes to make this entry.

We went out with the former Governor's son last night. Went to a lovely restaurant...lovely by Congo standards. I had the most delicious chicken and potatoes. I met the former Ambassador of Rome to Afganistan, Bishop Corosa. WHAT A GIANT OF A HUMAN BEING. We hit it off and John and Bill couldn't tear us apart!!! He wants to start a library here in Tshikaji and/or Konanga. He has 150,000 books (French and English) stored in warehouses in the country. But, no one wants to help him. He asked me for $40,000 to help him. I said that I didn't have that much on me, but do know some people in the States who value precious gift of the written word (books) more than just about anything...me being one.

I remain committed and focussed on the project at Lubondai, though. We haven't even gotten there and I've been asked for money to build a church ($30,000), a library ($40,000), hospital ($25,000), and much much more...about $200,000 so far. As instructed by John and Bill, I have promised nothing. It is not good to promise something that one cannot keep. Discussion is fine, but promising is a sacred vow that should always be kept. I have promised nothing.

Lubondai awaits us. We have gotten some very good counsel on hydroelectric power advances...solar power advances...different options. John is focussed like a laser on getting the channel or chute that leads from the dam fixed. Without that first step, other things will not be able to follow.

John is often welling up with emotions that speak to the incredible power of this experience on his life. He is always commenting on how good it is to be "home". He really is home. And, so is Bill. Their Tshaluba and French is fantastic. I often stand in the background and stay quiet...I know...Amazing, isn't it!!!!

The poverty here is truly beyond explanation. People die every day. Nancy and Mike try to save every single life, but that is not possible. Out further in the country, it gets more and more diffictult...like in Lubondai.

We have seen our share of bloated stomachs, begging children, tattered clothes, wounds from the "war", faces dismembered, legs and arms missing...yet, in all of the people we have met and seen, there is still that smile...that joy...that desire to go on with hope...hope that can only come from some other place than here. Because, here there is much dispair and hopelessness...from a worldly standard. The hope that the people have here comes from their faith in God...thank God for the missionaries. It comes from knowing that Jesus Christ is with them...no matter what. And the "distance" between literal death, starvation, and misery AND regular life is very small.

There is no question that the hope that these people have comes from somewhere other than here...on earth. They know something that others don't. And, it is that whatever may happen to them here on earth, they will be taken care of by a Savior in a beautiful life to come.

I am starting to feel so guilty about how much the people of the United States moan and gripe about "how disastrous things are in the United States"..."how bad the economy is"..."how America has gone downhill"..."how it has never been as bad as it is now in the US"...ALL ANYONE HAS TO DO TO LEARN HOW BLESSED WE ARE IN THE UNITED STATES IS COME HERE FOR A DAY OR TWO...NOT TWO OR THREE WEEKS...BUT JUST ONE DAY!!!

I love my country and always will. But, we are doing just fine, thank you very much!

It sickens me to think of what the candidates for the Presidency (both of them) are saying in order to get elected as President. Being president of the most blessed people on the face of the earth...what challenge is that. How about being the president of the beautiful people of this country? Now, that would be hard work...good work...meaningful work...and work that would really mean something. The people of the United States could go for 4 or 8 years without a president and still be way better off than these people...however, we would still probably not be as joyful. Complain, Complain, Complain. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

I'm venting now. I am sorry. I have to go with Nancy to visit the hospital.

I love you all,

Until next time,

Chris Looker

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris-
These are incredible writings! Hope all is going well. You are in our prayers.
The Nationals season is now officially over. They remained in last place...just where we left them
Love
Caroline, Kyle and Gregg

Cara said...

Chris -

That's a lot of insight for just having 12 minutes to write! Thanks, by the way. You really put our current political and economic concerns into perspective. Please say "Hello" to the people of Lubondai from us. - Cara

Marta said...

I agree with you 100 % regarding the groaning and moaning going on in the UD today. More people should go and see how those poor people in the Congo have to live!
I am looking forward to reading your next message! Take care!