Monday, October 6, 2008

I've gotten some rest and read my three earlier entries. Wow! Was I upset! O well!

Dear Loved Ones:



First of all, I would like to humbly apologize to anyone who has read this blog and has been offended by its contents. I am not very good at knowing what things are "politically correct" to say or write. As a matter, I think that the whole idea of being "politically correct" is rather foolish when it is held up against the basic right provided for us in the First Amendment to the Constitution (Bill of Rights), that being "free speech". But, anyway...



I preached yesterday in the Presbyterian Church here in Lubondai. About 500 men, women, and children crammed into the church to worship for about 2 hours. My sermon was about 30 minutes. John translated it and did a magnificent job. The sermon focussed on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I pointed out that the very first evangelist chosen by God and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ to "deliver" the Good News of Jesus' Resurrection was Mary Magdeline. In this respect, I preached, she was the first "pastor" chosen by God to deliver...to preach...the Good News of the resurrection..."I have seen the Lord!"



Speaking about a woman as a pastor was a little on the edge for this society, but one of the surgeon's wive's asked me to address this issue. The pastor said it was OK, so I did. To date, the people in the Lubondai Presbyterian Church have never allowed a woman to preach the sermon...I've been told. After I was finished with the sermon, I was told that that practice was going to be changed as soon as possible. We'll see.



Even more important than standing strong and advocating for women's ordination and the right of women to preach and teach in the church, I felt moved by God to point out to the people that every life has periods of "death" and "resurrection" in it. And, for the Christian, death can never be considered as an end unto itself. Death...disappointments...loss of a job...are tough on us, but for the Christian, every "death" is always followed by "resurrection". Resurrections are when power is restored, buildings are repaired, lights go on to guide the hands of the surgeons and nurses, water flows, and micro-enterprises flourish. Death is the precedent to resurrection. Death is an opportunity for new life. Death is good...As St. Paul so beautifully wrote in Phillippians, "For me, living is Christ AND DYING IS GAIN!!!" Imagine that, "dying is gain".



For the Christian, death is how one gains eternal life!!! Thanks be to God.



After church, we met with Chief Kananga and 24 of his subchiefs. We discussed the basics of the project and the "partnership" we hope to see started and continued between National Capital Presbytery/First Presbyterian Church of Annandale AND the church and people of Lubondai.



Then we got on our way and have come to Tshikaji, which is where we spent last night.



I had the best night's sleep I've had in quite some time and am feeling a lot more positive about things. I think that when I was not eating and not getting rest, I got a little cranky...and it shows in my three previous entries to this blog. But, I'm going to stick with what I wrote. It not only represents what I felt at the time, but how I felt at the time...which was tired and sometimes sick to my stomach...some of the food did it to me.



Anyway, I have to go now. Nancy has to do her rounds. Thanks for bearing with me through the bad times...and the harsh words that I wrote. This place has really gotten to me.



I love my country. I love my home. I love America. I love the American people. I love my wife and children. And, I thank God every single day for blessing me and my family and my country so very much. I'm sure that whoever wins the presidency, the world will be able to survive it. Hopefully, whoever wins the presidency will be able to do some good not only for our country, but the world.



I wish every single American could come here and see what I've seen. I think that it would do our country some real good!!!

Until the next time...

In Christ's Precious Love,

Dr. Chris Looker, Congo

No comments: