Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Begging

Dear Loved Ones:

It is Oct. 8, 2008 and I am beginning my trip back to the US from the Congo. I am so grateful to be coming back to my homeland...the land that I love so very much...the most blessed country in the world. Yet, I am struck with the realization that I am coming back to the great land that I love so very much a begger myself...for the people of the Congo. This scares me.

I can honestly say that while here I have been approached by literally 1000's of beggers and asked for everything I had. I have given a lot of money away and most of my clothes. It is so easy to do here when there is so much suffering.

I have had to refuse many of the beggers and that is hard. Begging is a way of life here.

Now, I come back to the US, the greatest country in the world...and I am a begger myself. Asking money for this and for that...to fix the roof of Christ's church in Annandale...to help the people of Cumberland, Maryland, to help the suffering people of the Dem. Rep. of the Congo...

Maybe that's what we pastors are: beggers. Beggers for God. Beggers for Christ. Beggers for the poor. Beggers for the needy. Beggers for the starving. I hope and pray that when I get back home to the US too many people will not hate me for being a begger-pastor. I just hope and pray that I can "beg" for the right things...for what Christ wants me to beg. May God be with me...with us.

America is the most generous nation on the planet earth. I don't think that I'll have any problems. It will be so very good to be with my Christian family, whom I love so very much, again at FPCA/FKPCV and to be with my home family, who I have missed so very much while here.

Thank you for the honor and privilage of coming on this fact finding mission trip to Congo. I came to this blessed and needy country one man...and I am returning home another man. I came as one with much in the ways of the world...I am coming home a begger.

I love you all very, very, very, very much. See you soon.

Until the next time.

In Christ's Precious Love,

Dr. Chris Looker

1 comment:

Marta said...

No, Chris, you are not a beggar - you a rich with God's blessings, and our love! Have a safe trip home! We are looking forwasrd to your return!!!
Marta